Sunday, September 14, 2008

Dear young people

The following is an excerpt from the Papal address at World Youth Day 2002 in Toronto. The first portion of it was used in a song by Fr. Stan Fortuna called Cell 91, which is a tribute to Pope John Paul II (pretty rockin song if youve heard it or can find it, I havent been able to track it down online).

When I heard the song for the first time, the quote really struck me and has stuck in my head for about 6 years or so. It addresses the role of young people in Christian living and it really drives home the concept of the humble life and abandoning pop culture, which seems to be ever deprivating these days.

"It is the nature of human beings, and especially youth, to seek the Absolute, the meaning and fullness of life. Dear young people, do not be content with anything less than the highest ideals! Do not let yourselves be dispirited by those who are disillusioned with life and have grown deaf to the deepest and most authentic desires of their heart. You are right to be disappointed with hollow entertainment and passing fads, and with aiming at too little in life. If you have an ardent desire for the Lord you will steer clear of the mediocrity and conformism so widespread in our society."

Could you just imagine being in a crowd of a million young Catholics and hearing a Pope who is especially special to that crowd say these words? How could your life not be different?!

How often are we deaf to the deepest and most authentic desires of our hearts? Better yet, how often do we completely ignore these desires in favor of "hollow entertainment and passing fads"?!?! I believe that our generation, Catholic young adults, really have a great opportunity, no responsibility to uphold orthodoxy and moral living and not allow ourselves to be seduced by the things that we are "supposed" to want or do. Holiness requires us to be different!

St. Joseph, patron of families, champion of purity, and model of humility, pray for us!

1 comment:

Frances said...

"How could your life not be different?" You got me there, Adam. I can imagine being a part of that crowd of Catholics because I WAS. By God's grace, I chaperoned a group of teenagers from the Diocese of Spokane to WYD 2002 in Toronto. I saw JPII and I'm almost certain I heard him speak those words. But did I let them soak into my mind and heart and inspire me? Perhaps not until later, when I reread them in better concentration. Did they change me? In addition to many of the other awesome things JPII said and wrote and did, yes. In subsequent years, I did some radical things for God.

The real question for me now is: do they still change me? Could someone looking at my life right now tell the difference?

I'm convicted. I'm going to have to ponder this further. John Paul II the Great, pray for me!