Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Oh Tannenbaum!

This Christmas marks an exciting time for Diana and I. Not only is it our first Christmas as a married couple, but it is also the first time that we will celebrate Christmas with a real live (well, live at one time) tree!

For as long as we both could remember, our families had real trees at Christmas time. When Diana moved into the condo several years ago, she was not able to manage a Christmas tree (physically and financially) so a friend of her family bought her a 5 foot artificial tree that she and I would cheerfully decorate every year. While it certainly put us in the Christmas mood, there is nothing quite like a real tree at Christmas.

I remember years ago when my brother and I were little we would help Dad hoist the tree onto the top of the van and tie it down, then carry it off the van into the garage where we would trim the bottom and get it ready for the stand. I always liked using the bow saw to lop off the end of the tree! I hope that that memory is one that I will be able to pass on to my children.

This Christmas, Diana and I purchased a tree from the Knights of Columbus at our parish (it is a yearly fundraiser, they get the trees from a local farm that grows and cuts them!) We got the tree last weekend and I had the privledge to prepare it for the house.

Well, 2 jigsaw blades, a circular saw, a hammer, a screwdriver, and 45 minutes was all it took to cut about 6 boughs and 3 inches off the end of the tree to get it ready for the stand. I think I need a bow saw haha!

Fortunately it was light enough that I could carry it up the stairs and maneuver it into the tree stand that we inherited from Diana's parents with no problems.

This is the tree just after getting it screwed into the stand. Notice that the branches are still bunched up from being tied for so long. A few tamps on the ground and a couple days later, the tree was ready to decorate.
The other conundrum that we ran into this Christmas is that we both wanted to have an angel tree topper, rather than the star that we had been using for so long (a homemade aluminum foil star). We also did not have a "First Christmas" ornament. Fortunately, a trip to the southern christmas show in Charlotte and another trip to Garden Ridge satisfied both desires!

The smell of fresh cut pine tree now infuses our home everytime we walk through the door. We are so blessed to have this little comfort in our home this year!



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPxCHi4mLYA


Merry Christmas!......more Christmas madness to come, but my wife is bumping me with her pregnant belly.....

St. Joseph, patron of families, champion of purity, and model of humility, pray for us!

No comments: